As the saying goes, “everything’s bigger in Texas,” and that goes for real estate too. With the real estate industry in Texas booming, you might consider becoming a real estate agent or upgrading to a broker. Texas online real estate schools offer a great way to enter the real estate career from the comfort of your own home.
To become a real estate agent in TX, you must complete 180-hours of pre-licensing courses. Finding the best online real estate school in Texas may seem like a daunting task, but with our list of top picks, you can be assured of making the right decision.
As you read, you will see that we have done the hard work for you by compiling in-depth information about the best real estate schools and what they offer. In addition, we list the pros and cons of each real estate school and what the costs will be. With one of these courses, you will be ready to start your journey to becoming a real estate agent in TX.
Top 5 Texas Online Real Estate Schools
1. Aceable Agent
A great option, perfect for those looking for a 180-hour pre-licensing course, Aceable Agent offers the best real estate school online in Texas. Aceable’s courses are 100% approved by the TREC (Texas Real Estate Commission).
Aceable Agent also has an amazing pass rate of 73% in Texas for new sales agents! They even offer a pass-the-test or money-back guarantee.
One of the unique things Aceable Agent provides is the ability to complete the Broker Agent Match Program. The program offers students the ability to answer a questionnaire and share it with a network of real estate brokers in Texas, which can help new agents find the right broker quickly.
Aceable Agent also offers additional CE courses, including the Texas Sales Agent Apprentice Education Course, which are priced separately.
Choose from three different packages with Aceable Agent, including:
- Basic – For $499, you get the 180-hour pre-license course, practice exam questions, instructor support, fully narrated courses, lite exam prep, and a mini-course on finding the right broker.
- Deluxe – For $599, you get everything in the Basic package, as well as 75 video and 70 audio lessons, digital flashcards, deluxe exam prep with 1,660+ additional practice questions, and a real estate exam prep eBook.
- Premium – For $749, you will get everything the Basic and Deluxe packages offer, plus private tutoring with a real estate expert, live webinars five times a week, and live Q&As every Friday.
|AceableAgent Pros||AceableAgent Cons|
|Self-Paced||No Livestream Classes|
|Mobile App||No In-Person Option|
Aceable Agent does have a refund policy as long as you have not completed the course and the request is within 30 days of purchase. After that, you need to contact their student concierge. A course is considered completed if you have gone through all the levels of the course, whether or not you have taken and passed the final exam.
If you have purchased through a third party (e.g., Groupon), you will need to contact them to receive a refund.
Please note that the extension will not be refundable if you have requested a course extension because of an expiring course completion date.
2. The CE Shop
The CE Shop is another great choice for your 180-hour pre-licensing requirements. This Texas online real estate school has three packages to choose from, and they all include six 30-hour online interactive courses.
You get a 96% student satisfaction rate and a 68% student pass rate with The CE Shop. In addition, you can complete the coursework in as little as five weeks.
These six courses are required to get your real estate license in the state of Texas:
- Principles of Real Estate I
- Principles of Real Estate II
- Law of Agency
- Law of Contracts
- Promulgated Contract Forms
- Real Estate Finance
The CE Shop offers these course packages:
- Standard Package – For $629, you get 180-hours of TX pre-licensing courses, free online proctoring, Exam Prepe Edge, a pass guarantee, business eBooks, digital flashcards, downloadable resources, a real estate glossary, and a study schedule.
- Value Package – For $669, you get everything included in the Standard package and the Business Building Courses, which can help you start your real estate journey.
- Premium Package – For $1029, you receive everything The CE Shop offers with its biggest package. You get all the benefits of the Value package, along with a 98-hour required SAE education and 5 Texas Real Estate Edition eTextbooks.
You can also purchase the individual courses for $119 if you have completed some of the required 180-hour pre-licensing courses.
|The CE Shop Pros||The CE Shop Cons|
|High Student Satisfaction Rate||No Instructor Support|
|Digital Flashcards||No In-Person Classes|
|Individual Course Options|
The CE Shop offers a refund of the purchase price as long as the request is submitted within 30 days of the purchase date, before the course expiration, and less than 50% of the course has been completed.
If you request a refund for Exam Prep Edge, The CE Shop will refund the purchase price as long as the request is within 30 days of the purchase date and the initial assessment has not been completed.
Ebooks are non-returnable, and all sales are final.
3. Colibri Real Estate
Known as one of Texas’ top online real estate schools Colibri Real Estate, formally known as Real Estate Express, offers a user-friendly option with all the materials you need. It’s a great choice for those looking to work at their own pace without attending scheduled classes.
They offer an easy online experience, which makes this school one of the top options. The 180-hour pre-licensing course is offered in many different packages, from basic needs to livestream options.
With Colibri, you can also get continuing education courses. This can help as you work through the first few years of being a real estate agent in TX.
The different packages include:
- The Basics – For $549, you will get the pre-license course, three real estate eBooks, instructor support, digital flashcards, and free online proctoring.
- Exam Preparation – For $649, you get everything The Basics offers and exam prep with audio playback. You will even get a Pass or Don’t Pay Guarantee when it comes to your real estate license exam.
- Exam Preparation Plus – For $749, you get plenty of extra benefits with this package. It gives you everything the Exam Preparation package offers; you can also access an instructor Q&A, a real estate dictionary, live exam crammer series, an exam-cram webinar, interactive learning videos, and 90 hours of SAE courses.
- Ultimate Learning – For $859, you will get access to everything the Exam Preparation Plus package offers, along with a one-year professional development, and you can purchase a printed course textbook.
- Livestream – For $859, you can access livestream classes Monday-Thursday all day and Tuesday & Thursday evenings. All live stream courses offer the pre-licensing course, real estate eBooks, exam prep, instructor support, study resources, and the pass or don’t pay money-back guarantee.
You can also purchase single courses for $99; these courses include:
- Texas Law of Agency
- Texas Law of Contracts
- Texas Principles of Real Estate I
- Texas Principles of Real Estate II
- Texas Promulgated Contract Forms
- Texas Real Estate Finance
|Colibri Real Estate Pros||Colibri Real Estate Cons|
|Many Package Options||No Mobile App|
|Livestream Courses||No Weekend Livestreams|
Colibri Real Estate does offer a refund policy; they back every purchase with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. For online courses, you have one week from the date of purchase to request a full refund. For the livestream courses, you must request a refund within one week of the first day the livestream courses start to get a full refund.
You can either call or email to request a refund.
Another option with plenty to offer is Mbition. This online real estate school in Texas offers unlimited practice exams and several other great benefits for new real estate professionals in Texas. Unfortunately, while Mbition offers some better courses, you cannot yet access their content on a mobile device from an app.
They provide their students with LEAP, their custom online learning solution, to engage students with interactive content featuring real-world scenarios, and thrive on having the most up-to-date content available.
They even offer a 5-day free trial, so you can get the full experience with no cost or worry if this online real estate education is right for you.
Mbition offers these three packages:
- Standard – For $629, you will get the 180-hour TX pre-licensing course, business eBooks, resources, digital flashcards, a glossary, online proctoring, a schedule to help you study, an exam prep, as well as a pass guarantee.
- Value – For $669, you get all that’s included in the Standard package and a business course.
- Premium – For $1029, you get everything Mbition has to offer. Everything in the Value package plus an SAE education and some internet textbooks.
You can also take the 30-hour courses individually; this works great if you have already completed a portion of the 180-hour pre-licensing courses. Although the individual courses cost $119 each, you could take one course simultaneously instead of doing it all at once if your schedule is often busy.
|Mbition Pros||Mbition Cons|
|Affordable package options||No In-person Classes|
|5 Day Free Trail||No Instructor Support|
|Glossary||No Mobile App|
Mbition offers a refund of the purchase price as long as the request is submitted within 30 days of the purchase date, before the course expiration, and less than 50% of the course has been completed.
If you request a refund for Exam Prep, they will refund the purchase price as long as the request is within 30 days of the purchase date and the initial assessment has not been completed.
Ebooks sales are non-returnable.
A good choice and a name most have heard of, Kaplan offers online Texas real estate courses. They provide many options with on-demand classes and live online classes.
They offer OnDemand online video and Live online packages; these two options will provide more support and access to instructors. If you’re looking for a classroom feel, the Live online option from Kaplan might fit your needs.
The Kaplan Real Estate School offers multiple packages, including:
- OnDemand Solution – For $449, you get the 180-hour pre-licensing course, printed textbooks and workbooks, 40+ OnDemand instructor-led videos, Texas and National real estate exam prep, Texas and National drill and practice QBank, interactive study group, live career mentoring and virtual classroom exam proctoring.
- Career Launcher OnDemand Package – For $649, you get everything in the OnDemand solution package and a real estate accelerator class.
- Live Online Solution – For $889, you get the 180-hour pre-licensing course, printed textbooks and workbooks, Texas and National real estate exam prep, Texas and National drill and practice QBank, interactive study group, virtual classroom exam proctoring, and live career mentoring.
- Career Launcher Live Online Package – For $1089, you get everything in the Live online solution package and a real estate accelerator class.
They offer two home study packages for $389 & $589, but you get to work at your own pace in the comfort of your own home. This choice offers text-based lessons and a PDF textbook. This package also provides quizzes and learning activities. You can also purchase courses individually if you need one or two real estate courses.
|Kaplan Pros||Kaplan Cons|
|Many Package Options||Outdated Website|
|#1 Name in Test Prep||No Mobile App|
Kaplan does offer a cancellation policy; all web-based courses, live courses, and paper-based courses need to be requested for a refund within 30 days of the date of purchase, and only if the course/class has not been completed. If you ask for a refund for a live class or paper-based course, you must return all unused materials.
Real Estate Accelerator can be canceled up to one week before the start date, and all downloadable materials are final and non-refundable.
Have You Heard of Champions School of Real Estate?
Many people in Texas have used Champions Real Estate over the years. They are one of the biggest real estate schools in the state. Over 53% of all sales agent exams taken over the last two years were taken by their students! They are BIG!
Unfortunately, their student’s success on the sales agent exam is lower than the overall sales agent pass rate in Texas. Check out our Champions School of Real Estate review for more details on everything they offer.
Texas Sales Agent Exam Pass Rates
The real estate exam is HARD in Texas. For every 100 exams taken, 41 fail! Looking at Champions School of Real Estate, whose students made up almost 53% of exam takers, 45 out of 100 failed the exam.
Aceable Agent is doing something different, and it shows. With a pass rate of 73.37%, less than 27 out of 100 fail! That’s what makes Aceable our top recommendation.
What Should You Know Before Enrolling in a Texas Online Real Estate School?
According to the Texas Real Estate Commission, you will need to complete 180 classroom hours. The classes you need to take will fit into specific categories, including:
- Real Estate Finance (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Agency (30 classroom hours)
- Promulgated Contract Forms (30 classroom hours)
- Principles of Real Estate I (30 classroom hours)
- Principles of Real Estate II (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Contracts (30 classroom hours)
Even after you get your real estate license in Texas, you will need to take more classes. You will have two years to complete an additional 90 hours of coursework under the category of Sales Apprentice Education. You will also have to complete an additional eight hours of Texas Real Estate Commission Legal Updates classes.
All real estate agents in Texas will also need to complete Continuing Education or CE courses. 18 hours of CE courses must be completed every two years to keep your license. Ten of your hours can be electives, but eight will always need to cover the Texas Real Estate Commission Legal Updates.
Many Texas real estate schools, offer both licensing and continuing education courses. In addition, you can take many of your CE courses online, making meeting the requirements to maintain an active Texas real estate license easy and convenient.
Should You Get Your Texas Real Estate License Online?
We believe so unless you prefer to sit in a classroom for the 180-hours needed for the pre-licensing courses. The alternative to taking courses in a classroom is taking them online. However, if you choose to go the classroom route, it can often be slower, and you have to work your schedule around the time of the classes.
But when you choose to take your pre-licensing courses online in Texas, you can work at your own pace and on your own schedule. It’s even possible to take vacation time from your current job and use that time to complete the online Texas pre-licensing courses even faster.
For a soon-to-be licensed real agent, taking the courses online makes the most sense. You won’t need to adjust your schedule, and many of the online real estate schools in Texas offer additional tools to help you prepare for the real estate licensing exam.
Choosing the Best Real Estate School
Whether you prefer learning with others in a classroom setting or doing things online on your own time, online real estate schools give you a choice. So as you look at our list of the top five online real estate schools in Texas, it would be best if you had a better idea of which learning style is best for you.
Learning styles, you will find available are explained below.
- Online only – suitable for students who prefer a self-paced option available on any mobile device with the internet.
- Virtual Classroom – This option allows students to stream the live classroom from their home or any mobile device with the internet. This can be advantageous for those who don’t have the classroom option but still prefer in-person.
- OnDemand Videos – Some schools may offer OnDemand online videos that you can access on your own schedules from any internet-enabled device.
You should also consider the importance of test prep; because it is essential! In addition to the 180-hours of education courses, you will also take a real estate exam prep course, and many companies include reading and study material.
Most of Aceable's course packages include PrepAgent State Exam Prep:
- Premium Study Aids
- National & State Questions
- Real Estate Exam Prep eBook
Frequently Asked Questions for Online Real Estate Schools in Texas
How long will it take me to get my real estate license in Texas with an online real estate course?
The Texas Real Estate Commission allows you to spend up to 12 hours daily in the classroom. Therefore, if you work the maximum number of hours with no breaks, you can complete all 180-course hours in 15 days.
While this is possible, it will take closer to eight or ten weeks for most real estate professionals in Texas to complete the courses and prepare for the exam.
Is the real estate exam in Texas difficult?
Yes, it’s a challenging test, with only about 58% passing it on the first try. But, while it’s a difficult test, it’s certainly not impossible. With the right studying and online real estate school, you will be well-prepared, and you can pass the Texas real estate exam.
Texas Sales Agent Exam Pass Rates
The real estate exam is HARD in Texas. For every 100 exams taken, only less than 60 will pass it.
Aceable Agent is doing something different, and it shows. With a pass rate of 73.37%, for every 100 exams taken, almost 75 pass it! That’s what makes Aceable our top recommendation.
How much can I make as a real estate agent in Texas?
An average real estate agent in the state of Texas will make about $90,000. Those with more than ten years of experience make more than $128,387 annually.
It’s important to note real estate agents in Texas work 100% on commission with no base salary.
Do any of the real estate courses in Texas ever expire?
Yes, real estate courses can expire. Once you’ve completed the pre-licensing requirements, you will have up to one year to take the Texas real estate exam. If you fail to take the exam or don’t pass it within a year, you will need to retake the pre-licensing courses.
Do real estate licenses expire?
Yes, Texas real estate licenses do expire. You will need to complete continuing education courses every two years to keep your real estate license current.
Related Learning Opportunities
Aceable Agent vs Real Estate Express
Aceable Agent is a real estate school with a big reputation. Real Estate Express is another leading educator in the field of real estate.
How To Get a Real Estate License in Texas
You've decide to get you Texas real estate license and now your stuck? We have everything from the rules to pre-licensing to your first job!