If you’re preparing to get into business school, you will likely need to take the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test). Most MBA (Master of Business Administration) admissions officials want you to score high on the GMAT, and with the right prep course, you can do just that.
Finding the right GMAT prep course for your needs isn’t always easy. There are several options to fit many different budgets and learning styles. If you want to get the top score and end up in the MBA program you like best, use the information below to choose the best GMAT prep course for you.
Who Should Choose a GMAT Prep Course?
You will need to take the GMAT to get into most MBA programs. It’s a challenging test, and the higher you score, the better your chances are of being accepted into the MBA program of your choosing. It can also help determine scholarships, academic, financial aid, and fellowships. Choosing the right prep course can help you achieve your goals.
Top 7 GMAT Prep Courses
1. The Princeton Review GMAT Prep
With more than 35 years of experience, The Princeton Review offers some of the best test-taking strategies for the GMAT. In addition, they have some of the top GMAT scoring experts available with their courses and offer one of the best choices with an exclusive prep algorithm, online tools, and so much more.
With their prep course, you gain guidance from an instructor and interact with them. Then, with the proctored practice exams and mock tests, you can get rid of your test anxiety by making sure you’re fully prepared for the real GMAT. They also offer personalized study plans and tools to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses.
The Princeton Review offers three GMAT Prep courses to choose from:
- Self-Paced – 1-hour session with GMAT experts, 10 practice tests, 83 adaptive drills with 3,000 questions, video-based adaptive lessons, the GMAT Official Guide (eBook format), all for the cost of $799, available online.
- Fundamentals – 27 hours of live lessons from GMAT experts, online recorded lessons (you can review at any time), 10 practice tests, simulated test day exam (very similar to the GMAT), custom online lesson plan, GMAT explanation sessions with experts. This package offers a guarantee that you will score higher, or you can get a refund. It comes in at the cost of $1,399 and is available online and in person.
- GMAT 700+ – 47+ hours of instruction from GMAT experts, 4,480+ GMAT style questions, class sizes of 12 or less, 4 hours of 1-on-1 instruction, 10+ hours of focused instruction, 10+ hours of verbal and math instruction, 10 practice tests, 4,480+ drill questions, the 700+ score guarantee. Comes in at $1,899 but gives you the guarantee that you can score high enough to get accepted into the top MBA programs with a score of 700 or higher. They offer this course online and in person.
They also offer private tutoring for $167/hr, available online and in-person if you need more help.
2. Magoosh GMAT Prep
One of the top GMAT prep courses you will find is the Magoosh GMAT prep course. They offer packages starting at $219 and provide a guarantee to raise your score by at least 50 points. In addition, with more than 1,300 practice questions, you get quite a bit of value from this program.
Magoosh offers Self-Study and Guided-Study options. In addition, there are three GMAT prep courses to choose from, including:
- Math + IR – Gives you access to Math and IR content with more than 175 video lessons and 720 practice questions.
- Premium Self-Study – Access to Math, Verbal, IR, and AWA with more than 340 video lessons, two diagnostic tests, and 1,300 practice questions.
- Tutoring + Premium Guided Study – Provides everything you get with the Premium Self-Study program, along with six hours of tutoring and 1-on-1 video chat sessions.
All plans offer one full year of access, and the Premium and Tutoring + Premium options give you a +50 total score guarantee. In addition, the Math + IR package provides a +3 math score guarantee. You can also pause your plan, and you gain access to the new Online Whiteboard feature with any GMAT prep course from Magoosh.
3. Target Test Prep
Target Test Prep is a good option if you want to earn a high GMAT score. They report that the average user of their GMAT prep course scored 720 on the test. However, they offer a 5-day trial version for just $1 to give you the ability to try them out before you commit.
Target Test Prep offers many things with each plan. All plans include the following:
- 3,000+ Quant Practice GMAT Questions
- 800+ Instructor-led GMAT Quant Videos
- 1,000+ Verbal Practice GMAT Questions
- 400+ Instructor-led Verbal Videos
- Detailed Explanation for all Quant Topics
- Easy to Understand GMAT Verbal Lessons
- Custom GMAT Practice Test Engine
- Intelligent Metrics and Error Analysis
- Live Expert Support
- Customized GMAT Study Plans
- Master Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning, and Reading Comprehension
They also guarantee a 110-point Score Improvement Guarantee with all Target Test Prep plans.
Plans with Target Test Prep include:
- Flexible Preparation – Gain full access with ultimate flexibility to the TTP GMAT Verbal and Quant courses monthly for $149.
- Dedicated Study – Pay for four months of full access for $449 with a one-time billing payment.
- Maximum Learning – Their six-month program gives you full access for $499 with a one-time billing payment.
A great GMAT prep course for the self-paced studier, the Kaplan option provides plenty of benefits. You can even try a free class before you sign up!
Prices for the Kaplan GMAT prep courses start at $599, with payment options as low as $50 per month. All GMAT courses from Kaplan include:
- A complete GMAT prep course
- 140+ hours of online practice and instruction
- Nine practice tests
- 24/7 access to video lessons
- A Qbank that will adapt to you
- More than 5,000 practice questions
- A simulated official test day experience
When you choose a GMAT prep course from Kaplan, you will get many great benefits other programs don’t offer. For example, they offer the following course options:
- Self-Paced – Six months of access to the on-demand course allowing you to study at your pace.
- Live Online – Learn from actual GMAT experts in a classroom-type setting with the live online option. You will also gain access to on-demand lessons with this option.
- In-Person – this option allows you to take in-person classes as soon as they resume. Currently, these classes are offered online.
Kaplan is a great option if you’re looking for a proven choice to help boost your score.
5. Manhattan Prep GMAT Course
Another good choice offering the tools you need to prepare for the GMAT is the course from Manhattan Prep. This course includes plenty of practice tests, an official tracker to keep your spot, free classes, and more. In addition, there’s a video guide and plenty of lectures to help you prepare for the GMAT.
Manhattan Prep will allow you to try your first class for free. Then, you can choose between an instructor or self-guided options.
The self-guided prep courses include:
- GMAT Interact – Offers video lessons, online resources, books and is a great choice for those looking for a self-paced study program starting at $999.
- GMAT Self-Study Toolkit – a Basic program with the books and online resources you need, along with a study syllabus; this is a lower-cost option from Manhattan Prep for $359.
Manhattan Prep offers courses with instructors including:
- GMAT Advanced Course – Includes 15 hours of live instructors with five sessions to help you master the hardest GMAT content for $1399.
- GMAT Interact + Tutoring – Offers 35+ interactive video lessons, along with private tutoring and online books and resources for studying, for $1449.
- Live GMAT Course – A 27-hour live course offered online or in-person, this is a great choice if you have 2 or more months before the test, starting at $1599.
- GMAT Boot Camps – The most comprehensive option with a faster timeline, this course offers 35 hours of instruction over two or three weeks, and it’s available online or in-person starting at $2599.
The GMAT Advanced Course does require you to have a specific GMAT score to qualify. However, it’s meant to help you advance your score by mastering the hardest material on the test.
6. PrepScholar GMAT Course
A very student-friendly option with video lectures and a free diagnostic assessment, PrepScholar GMAT offers a good choice. If you want to gain access to a personalized study dashboard set up to customize your studying, this is a good choice. The GMAT prep course from PrepScholar offers the following features:
- Personalized study plans and progress tracking
- Three skill levels
- Four computer adaptive practice tests
- More than 50 interactive lessons
- More than 1,000 practice questions
- Video explanations
- And more!
They provide three options ranging from $99 to $399, which gives students a very affordable option. The lowest cost option provides 2 months of access and 500 real practice questions. Upgrading to the middle option, Self-Guided Online GMAT Prep gives you more practice questions, a diagnostic assessment, 5 GMAT strategy lessons, and 750 practice questions.
The most expensive option is the Completely Customized Online GMAT prep course. It includes 100+ hours of content, 1,000 practice questions, 10 GMAT strategy lessons, four months of access, and a 60-point improvement guarantee.
With PrepScholar, you can use the five-day risk-free trial to check them out before committing to a plan to fit your needs. They also offer GMAT tutoring if you need even more help with packages ranging from $799 to $3399.
7. Veritas GMAT Prep Course
Many students have raved about the GMAT prep course from Veritas. It’s a popular option with many class choices and lessons you can stream online and download. In addition, Veritas offers plenty of study flexibility, and you can use multiple devices to access the content.
Pricing ranges from $699 to $2,650, and you can choose self-study, live classes, or even private tutoring.
The Self Study course includes more than 5,000 practice questions, video lessons you can stream or download, live online homework help, a free admissions consultation, and a full year of access.
If you choose the Live Class option, you get everything the Self Study option offers, along with a 36-hour course that Veritas Prep is best-known for, instructors from the 99th percentile, and all live instruction.
Private tutoring is also available and gives you the same features like the Live Class option. However, you will also access 1-on-1 GMAT instruction with this option.
Veritas Prep also offers upgraded packages for the Self-Study option with on-demand content. You can get the On-Demand Plus course, which includes three hours of tutoring along with the benefits of the Self Study package. They also offer an On-Demand + Admissions package with 7 hours of counseling, a personalized MBA game plan assessment, essay editing, interview prep, and more. These On-Demand options range from $699- $2,500. If you want to make sure you have the best chance to get into an MBA program, this is the right option for you.
They also offer Admissions bundles to help you prepare for the GMAT and get the help you need to get accepted to an MBA program. These GMAT prep courses and Admissions help packages go from $2,500 to $8,950.
4 Factors to Consider When Picking Your GMAT Prep Course
1. Your Learning Style
Several GMAT prep courses are available and cater to different learning styles. For example, if you can successfully study with a book or a self-study approach, many GMAT prep courses will work great for you. In addition, there are Graduate Management Admission Test prep courses that have instructors teach the course.
2. Your Budget
Of course, your budget has to be considered as some courses cost more than others. However, some GMAT prep courses are perfect even with a tight budget.
3. How much improvement do you need?
If you’ve taken the GMAT before and didn’t do well, you might need a good prep course to prepare for your next try. Some courses also offer a free GMAT practice test so you can see how much improvement you need before you purchase the right course for you.
4. Your Study Discipline
If you need help sticking to a study schedule, a GMAT prep course is a great option. Many will offer a study schedule, send you reminders, and help keep you on track.
Frequently Asked Questions About GMAT Prep Courses
Is the GMAT difficult?
It depends on how well prepared you are and how good you are at math. Those struggling with math may find the quantitative section challenging without enough preparation. However, if you struggle with grammar, the verbal section might be difficult, too.
With the right GMAT prep course, you can become more familiar with the materials, making the GMAT easier. But, remember, just because you’re unfamiliar with the material doesn’t mean the test is difficult. On the contrary, if you’re properly prepared, the test will come much easier to you, and you will have less test anxiety.
How long will I need to study for the GMAT?
Every person is different, and some may need more time to study than others. It also depends on your goal with your target score and what type of schedule you’re dealing with.
It’s common for students to study for up to 100 hours over three months. But, of course, this also depends on the GMAT prep course you choose and what it provides for you.
Can I take the GMAT more than once?
Yes. You can take the GMAT up to five times in 12 months and once every 16 calendar days. However, you are only allowed to take the GMAT eight times in your lifetime.
What will my GMAT score be?
Your GMAT score will fall between 200 and 800. The GMAT is scored on verbal and quantitative sections. It also includes 0 to 6 for analytical writing and 1 to 8 for the integrated reasoning section.
The GMAT is a computer-adaptive test, so your score will be determined by the questions you answer correctly and how difficult those questions are considered to be.
What’s considered a good GMAT score?
If you score a 650 on the GMAT, you will fall into the 73rd percentile, which might be good if the program you want to get into requires this type of score. However, if you want to get into a top 25 MBA program, you will likely need a score of 700 or higher.