Offering the right resources for those looking to help their children learn, IXL might be the perfect choice for you. Before you choose the right path for your students, make sure you read our IXL review.
What is IXL?
IXL is a personalized learning platform. The platform offers more than 90 billion questions and has served over 12 million students. It’s an immersive learning experience offering real-time diagnostics.
This award-winning learning platform offers the resources students need throughout the school year. This website offers math & language arts help for students on a subscription basis. There are thousands of topics covered throughout the website.
What Parents Should Know About IXL
The most important thing parents should know about IXL is that it’s a comprehensive learning tool. This platform offers many practice questions and modules to help students in a variety of subjects.
Parents will enjoy the fact that the platform offers games to help students learn. Some of the skill exercises can even be done for free. It will be limited to a few problems per day, however.
IXL learning provides real-time diagnostics to help students figure out what they need to learn. It works for a variety of age groups and offers everything you need to help your kids grow in knowledge.
There are parent resources found on the website. The app will also work on many platforms.
Parents will be able to access the child’s account and see the milestones. You can celebrate different IXL milestones with certificates and see the progress of your students. This is helpful as parents should be able to keep up with how well their student is doing with the IXL learning platform.
Grade Levels Offered by IXL
No IXL review would be complete without looking at the different grade levels. There are different options for each level, which include:
- Pre-K – Students can learn how to count better, learn about letters, rhyming words, and more. There are over 130 math skills and more than 60 language arts skills at this grade level.
- Kindergarten – Compare numbers, learn the names of shapes, learn different sounds of letters, and more at this grade level. Choose from more than 370 total skills in math and language arts for this grade.
- First Grade – Learn how to add and subtract, along with telling time, nouns, verbs, and more. This level offers 256 math skills and 177 language arts skills.
- Second Grade – Learn about plants, animals, historic figures, place-value models, and more at this level. More than 530 math and language arts skills are found at this level, along with science skills and social studies skills.
- Third Grade – At this level, students learn multiplying, dividing, pronouns, weather, climate, bar graphs, and more. There are more than 700 total skills at this level in math, language arts, science, and social studies.
- Fourth Grade – It’s time to learn decimals and fractions, along with fossils, rocks layers, government, and more when fourth grade comes around. Choose from more than 400 math skills, over 230 language arts skills, more than 100 science skills, and over 100 social studies skills.
- Fifth Grade – Students will learn all about prepositions, molecules, economics, multiplying fractions, and so much more at this level. There are more than 800 total skills covering math, language arts, science, and social studies within the fifth grade level.
- Sixth Grade – It’s time for percentages, ratios, Greek and Latin roots, genetics, ancient history, and more at this grade level. With 405 math skills, 167 language arts skills, 139 science skills, and 152 social studies skills, there are plenty to choose from.
- Seventh Grade – Students will be able to learn about world history, proportional relationships, engineering design, and more at this level. The seventh grade level offers more than 800 total skills in math, language arts, science, and social studies.
- Eighth Grade – Learn about the Pythagorean theorem, chemical forums, civics, linear functions, and more when you reach this level. Students can enjoy 403 math skills, 163 language arts skills, 124 science skills, and 145 social studies skills at this level.
- Ninth Grade – Entering the high school grades means learning about figures of speech, quadratic equations, parallel language, and more. This level offers 396 Algebra 1 skills and 152 language arts skills.
- Tenth Grade – Learn about geometric constructions, word patterns, tone, and more at this grade level. Choose from 145 language arts skills and 291 geometry skills.
- Eleventh Grade – At this level, it’s time to learn trigonometric functions, polynomials, claims and counterclaims, and more. There are more than 340 algebra 2 skills and more than 130 language arts skills. for this grade level.
- Twelfth Grade – The final level of high school includes derivatives, domain-specific vocabulary, complex numbers, writing arguments, and more. It has 294 precalculus skills, 109 calculus skills, and 133 language arts skills.
Along with these grade levels, there are 140 total Spanish skills to choose from, too.
How is the Curriculum Broken Down?
There are topics, weekly plans, skill plans, and grades on the website. Most students will follow the weekly plan for the specific grade level they are at. This plan will cover 32 total weeks offering a week-by-week skill plan.
Depending on the skill level, you can get a weekly plan for math, language arts, science, social studies, and Spanish. The weekly plans can be viewed for free on the IXL website.
IXL Review: A Closer Look at the Cost
The IXL learning platform is available on a subscription basis. There are three basic plants to choose from with both monthly and yearly payment options. The three levels include:
- Single Subject – Choose either math or language arts for $9.95 per month or $79 per year.
- Combo Packages – Get both Math and Language Arts for just $15.95 per month or $129 per year.
- Core Subjects – If you need math, language arts, science, and social studies, you can get all four at a cost of $19.95 per month or $159 per year.
Additional students can be added for just an additional $4 per month or $40 per year. You can also add Spanish to your package for $5 per month or $40 per year.
There are also classroom license options for teachers. You can choose specific subjects and a specific number of students. The classroom licenses start at $299 per year. If you’re an administrator, you can get a quote from IXL based on the number of students you have.
Are the Diagnostics from IXL Good?
Yes, the diagnostics are some of the best on the market today. When you use IXL, you will gain access to an accurate assessment of your student’s knowledge. The real-time diagnostics will pinpoint the grade-level proficiency of your child in math and language arts.
After the original assessment, you will keep up-to-date insights to ensure your student is moving at the correct pace. One of the biggest complaints in public and private schools is the lack of challenge for some students. With IXL, your students will always be challenged.
The diagnostics will also help to ensure your student has a personalized plan for learning. It will help to engage your students and keep them moving forward in their education.
Is IXL a Good Choice for Homeschooling?
Yes. Many homeschool families use IXL as a part of their curriculum or as their entire curriculum. It will meet or exceed most state academic standards for homeschooling.
Students start with a diagnostic test of about 150 questions in math and language arts. This helps the IXL system figure out what grade level the student is at. IXL uses this test instead of just asking for the student’s age.
Parents of homeschoolers love IXL because you don’t have to keep students in a specific grade level if they’ve already learned the material. Instead, they can skip ahead and work through the grade levels at their own pace.
With continuous diagnostic reports, homeschoolers will know where students are strong and where they are weak. This allows students to focus on the skills they need and work through the exercises at their pace.
Homeschool families will gain access to all grade levels, too. You’re not just stuck with one grade level per year. If your child works through the material, they can skip to the next grade level when they are ready.
With more than 8,500 unique topics and a personalized learning plan, IXL is great for homeschoolers. It will keep track of your student’s progress and make things easier for parents, too.
Whether you’re looking to supplement your child’s education or homeschool them, IXL offers a great choice. It’s affordable and provides all the help your students will need in many different topics. This learning platform also covers all grade levels to ensure your students can get the help they need.
If you’re considering homeschooling or your child needs help, IXL is likely the right choice. The customer reviews of IXL are very positive from both parents and kids. You can try out some of what’s offered for free and subscribe when you’re ready.